Hilliard & Thomason (1840 - 1906)
Caddy spoon, two sugar spoons, sugar shifter by Hilliard & ThomasonJohn Hillliard established his business in 1837/8 in Birmingham. In 1840 John Thomason jointed his business and they started to trade as Hilliard & Thomason. This partnership was well-known as a small-maker, specialized in snuff box, vinaigretts and wine label.
At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, Hilliard & Thomason, described as manufacturers, showed "Silver fish-knives and forks, taper-stands, brooches, bracelets, corals, card-cases, knife, fork and spoon, card-baskets, snuff-boxes, paper and cake knives bouquet holders, mustards and salts, and a variety of other fancy goods." (Official Catalogue)
They were also represented with similar items at the International Exhibition of 1862 when they were members of The Birmingham Committee.
This business is said to be purchased by Taylor & Perry of Birmingham, successors to Joseph Taylor before 1860 however they continued on their account of Hilliard & Thomason at 1 & 3 Spencer Street, Birmingham, even after the death or retimrement of John Hilliard in 1870.
At the Birmingham Exhibition of 1886 John Thomason exhibited "samples of sterling silver goods, which, although not occupying a great space, yet serve to show the variety of his wares..."
In 1890 William Edwin Thomason and J. J. Richardson joined and started to trade as John Thomason & Nephews. J. Thomason although they continued to use the trade mark H. & T.
In 1906 J. J. Richardson retired and the firm was merged with Hasler Brothers, 53 Branston Street, Birmingham and 94 Hatton Garden, EC, and their joint partnership was converted to a limited liability cpmpany under the style of Thomason & Haseler Brothers Ltd.
In 1910 the comapny went into voluntary liquidation upon W. E. Thomason's retirement after which the stock, goodwill, plant, machinery and dies having been purchased by E. J. Haseler and N. Haseler, It was re-formed at new premises at 29 Warstone Lane, Birmingham.
"The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914", Hohn Culme